Our washing machine's hoses have been leaking since our first laundry day. This past week I decided to rip out the carpet underneath and install linoleum. My prior experience with flooring consisted of buying a rug to go in our bathroom. So this was a big step for me.

Keep in mind, that I don't have ANY tools, not even measuring tape. I cut out the carpet with a butcher knife. By pure luck, I cut out the carpet exactly 4 by 6 feet; I bought 24 squares of foot-squared linoleum tiles and it fit perfectly.
The carpet, green matting underneath, and the cement were all wet. I wasn't utterly clueless on how to install linoleum; I looked up a website on the internet and got a lot of help. I was supposed to do a few wet-cement tests, but I just left a fan on the floor for 24 hours before I put anything down. (I also got a lot of suggestions/answers from Home Depot.)

Here is the cement completely bare and starting to get cleaned. Before I glued on the linoleum, I had to fill a few holes in the ground with cement-filler. Broke open the cement bottle with my knee and filled in the gaps using my bare fingers.

Installation day! This was pretty fun. The worst part was doing the sealing along the baseboards, which I did, once again, with my bare hands.
I was the biggest penny-pincher when getting all my materials from Home Depot. It was great because the whole process cost me around $50 and the cheapest tiles actually matched the surrounding really well. On the other hand, it isn't the best job in the world, but for my first try, I am really satisfied with it. Our washing machine hoses still leak, but I'm working on those, too.
3 comments:
As Crush the Turtle would say, "You so totally ROCK, dude." Amazing what a little push from the folks at Home Depot can do! Keep experimenting. "Wisdom is knowledge rightfully applied" and a lot of trial & error. ;)
I am so impressed! (And also hoping I don't have to do that! I might need your "professional" help!!!)
Wow, that is quite the initative to take care of the tile! I am impressed, looks like we know who wears the pants in that marriage!!! jk
Post a Comment