Friday, October 30, 2009

Getting ready for the big day . . .

I have been SOO excited for Halloween ever since August. I had most of my decorating done by Oct. 3rd. Unfortunately, we had a huge snowstorm earlier this month that completely snuffed out my Halloween excitement and now I can only think about getting ready for a white Christmas. However, Dave and I still carved pumpkins, and I wanted to display a little of the stuff I put up. I got most of my ideas from my favorite Halloween stories--Frankenstein, Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde, Wuthering Heights, etc.

Here is my pumpkin already carved--while I was carving, David walked in from the back with a carving idea he had gotten from the internet--it was exactly the same as mine. In the picture he is doing Jack Skellington instead. A good choice. I wanted my pumpkin to be something I envision the Headless Horsemen to have thrown at Ichabod Crane: gleefully sinister.

Anyone know what music, roses, a magical lasso, and the ominous warning all have in common?? YES! Phantom of the Opera. I stored a bunch of our books downstairs so I'd have room for a poison/brewing shelf (I didn't even finish putting labels on the bottles . . . ), poems of E. A. Poe, a gift box complete with buttons, thread and needle (Coraline), and the pirate flag.
It certainly isn't amazing, but I had fun. I had more in mind I wanted to do--I guess I'll have a whole year to get ready for 2010!

3 comments:

Marissa said...

oh my!! i'm laughing. you are still a 9 year old at heart. good decorating. i love how everything is cut out and home made. your pumpkins are awesome!! i am a bad halloweenistic. no decorating. no carving pumpkins. and i'm not even going to hand out candy tomorrow night. BOOOOO! i'm a boring mom. at least my 2 kids have an amazing, fun aunt. wish you were here to lift their spirits!! love you.

Katie Lane said...

That is awesome. I love it. And I wish I was there to celebrate Halloween with you guys! Have a wonderful Halloween!

tHaRp said...

wow heather, i need you here for halloween. i am a bad halloweenistic too. Next year can you come decorate for us? I feel like scrooge on halloween. bah hum bug. Maybe next year I'll be better. Love you! You're darling!