This is a picture I took today






Home on Christmas
Our Birth Story!
When we checked in at the hospital a week after Kate's due date on Friday, Dec 23 at 8 AM, I was still only dilated to MAYBE a one. My midwife, Kate, (not to be confused with my baby Kate :) got caught up helping another patient, so I actually didn't receive anything until close to 10 AM. I laid down for a while, then David and I went on a walk, and I was having some really strong contractions and told Dave that if I get checked again at 1 PM and am still not progressing, I want an epidural because there's no way I'm doing another 24 hour labor like with Mason if it's hurting this bad.
So we go back to our room and order lunch (that's right!! I got to EAT during labor and it was GREAT!) and right when we're done my midwife comes to check me. She kept saying "oh my gosh . . . Really? Really?!" I'm dilated to a 7 in just 3 hours! Woohoo!
Midwife Kate says, I'll start filling up the jacuzzi and in the meantime let's go on a little walk. I'm still blown away that I'm progressing so fast and so happy that I would have followed Kate anywhere. My contractions were feeling a lot better/less painful during lunch, when I could lay down, so I'm feeling pretty good right now. We start walking and then start doing STAIRS. Kate marches me up and down 4 flights of stairs until I can tell these contractions are back to serious business. She suggests going to the jacuzzi. AHhhhh that felt so good. I could have stayed there for a week.
So the first little while in the tub I'm just concentrating on relaxing, but after a while I'm in real pain. Like crying and asking if it's too late to get an epidural. Yep! Too late! More crying.
I'll just skim over the next part, but I'll just say it was out of control. I think one thing where I went wrong was I went to the hospital without a plan. I wasn't against getting an epidural, and I figured if it started hurting way bad that I'd get one, but I didn't do a lot of practicing relaxing using certain methods or anything. Sure I'd read a few books and listened to relaxing music a few times, but I think I was just unprepared. Kate was born at 4:34 PM. David asked me about an hour afterwards if I'd consider doing natural again (probably not the best timing) and I said NO WAY.
Here's some positives though about going natural with my midwife: Did I mention I got to eat during labor? :) Labor was fast--maybe 7 hours, which isn't fast for some people, but it was for me. David got to catch the baby. How awesome is that? Immediately after, I got to hold the baby on my chest for as long as I wanted--skin to skin, with all the smells and touch and sounds associated with that. I loved it. Kate was super alert and I think nursing got off to a great start because I hadn't been on heavy medication for 12 hours like I had with Mason. I didn't tear or have to get an episiotomy, and recovery has been a night-and-day difference from the first time around, although that could be because it's #2 kid, not necessarily from going natural. I only had to get checked for vitals by nurses every 8 hours, instead of every 4 hours, afterwards in the hospital which meant more sleep and alone time. I got to go home the next day, on Christmas Eve, and spend that and Christmas with my parents and brother Greg.
Kate has been a wonderful baby overall. The first two days she was a little fussy but as soon as she could get more to eat she's been a champ. We feel so so blessed that she is healthy and doing well--thanks for all your love and support!
This is just Kate laying there, but it's a video!


5 comments:
I love her!! She is so beautiful. Way to have a natural labor, even if it was unplanned. I love the pictures and I am so glad you updated your blog.
I AM SO EXCITED! She's beautiful, Heather. Almost as beautiful as her mom. You are my hero.....I wouldn't ever be able to do a natural birth. Nope. Congratulations!
Congrats again! She's a beauty! And way to go natural! I also ended up getting no drugs with Kenzie but I dunno if I could have done it had labor been longer than an hour!
Heather!!!! I need to call you again! I'm so glad I decided to look at blogs tonight and you had written because that story just made my day! You are hilarious! Good work Heather!! I knew you could do it. I'm so glad everything went okay, we need to talk so I can ask a zillion questions...are you pumped? talk to you soon! She's BEAUTIFUL! I can't wait to see her!
love you
Hey just found your website. I had an epidural and was checked out the next day at Bergen Mercy. I was also walking around and just fine the next day and labor wasn't too long (though it was longer - and the pushing took forever cause I kept asking for more drugs so I didn't feel a thing), maybe 8 hours? I ate right before I checked in and threw it all up, so regretted it. Anyway, thought I'd let you know that you can have the same experience or similar with an epidural.
Post a Comment