My mom flew out last Tuesday, the 12, in anticipation of helping with the arrival of the baby any day . . . . now over a week later, still no sign of baby but it has been so fun to spend time with her. We've made toffee, cookies, caramel popcorn, bread, granola, and lots of yummy meals together. We've gone shopping and taken Mason to museums and the zoo, and David and I have been going on a date almost every day! It's been GREAT!
I have also been able to get a lot of last-minute things done, like finishing my Personal Progress as a YW leader in my ward, and finishing reading 50 books to complete my 2011 New Year's Resolution (this was a LOT better resolution than my one in 2007 to not eat desserts. Blah--never again!).
Here's my top 12 (I had a hard time narrowing to 10)--I read a LOT of great books but these I just want everybody to read if you need something to pick up because they are SOOO GOOD:
The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak (un-put-down-able)
Half The Sky by Nicholas D. Kristof (Probably THE most influential book I read this year)
The 7 Principles for Making Marriage Work by John Gottman (Everyone who is married or has been or will be should read this :)
The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen R. Covey
Percy Jackson and Olympians series by Rick Riordan (totally for YA but very fun)
Mormon Scientist by Henry J. Eyring (Things just kept clicking in my mind as I read this)
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer (un-put-down-able)
Life and Death in Shanghai by Nien Cheng (Orwell's 1984 in real life)
Xenocide by Orson Scott Card (This might be nerdy but Card is BRILLIANT)
Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell (Anything by Gladwell is fantastic)
The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho (The best book you'll read in the shortest amount of time.)
Lone Survivor by Marcus Luttrell (Every American should read this!)
I'd love any book recommendations from anyone that I can get started on for next year :)
I have gotten a little discouraged now and then because my body just won't go into labor (and I've been going walking every day, sitting on a birthing ball, eating pineapple and spicy foods . . . ), but tomorrow is the big day--December 23, exactly one week past our due date. (Mason was only 5 days late. And I kept hearing and believing that our #2 baby would come sooner, and so it got my hopes up . . . ) We're checking into the hospital at 8 AM and hopefully she'll come that day! I never thought I'd be having the baby this close to Christmas, but as long as she comes and she's healthy we don't care what day she comes on :)
We'll post pictures next week! Keep us in your prayers--love,
4 comments:
Thanks for the book recommendations! I'm always looking for good books to read! Sorry the baby hasn't come yet!!! I know it's no fun going over, but she'll be here so soon! Something I found that helped alot was nipple stimulation... I know, it's a little blunt. Hopefully all goes well for you tomorrow! Happy birthing and Merry Christmas!
Sounds like a wonderful treat to have your Mother in town! I will be thinking of you tomorrow and you'll be in our prayers! :) Good luck dear friend!
And she's absolutely adorable! We can't wait to see her in person :) Thanks for the book recommendations, I can never think of things to read, sadly.
I hope all went well with the birth! Can't wait to see pictures! And good job reading all those books!
Post a Comment