Sunday, December 13, 2009

Bambi and Projects

This afternoon David was asked by some neighbors to help tie a deer up to clean out. . .
Some other Christmas projects I've been working on:
Stockings! I was really excited to make these, but they didn't turn out the way I had them in my mind (the red girly one was supposed to have an awesome point at the toe, and instead it just looks really puny) and I can't decide if I haven't finished them because I've been too busy or I've been telling myself I'm too busy and I really just don't know how to fix and finish them.

Mint oreo pie! My sister-in-law Brooke gave me this recipe, and I made it for Dave because he thinks its DELICIOUS. I don't know how it tastes exactly because I don't like mint and so David has it all to himself. But it's really easy and looks good for the holidays--if you're interested in making it the recipe goes as follows:

1 - You just buy an Oreo pie crust from the store (don't try to make your own, it doesn't work very well). When you buy the Oreo pie crust from the store it comes with a plastic lid covering the pie crust, you can use the plastic covering as a convenient lid for the pie when you have made it. :)
2- one can of sweetened condensed milk
3- either 1 8oz can/bucket of cool whip or you can whip your own whipping cream. If you whip your own don't put any powdered sugar in it and make sure to whip it very stiff so it doesn't flatten out. I like whipping my own better
4- 1tsp of peppermint/mint extract. You can use more if you want but just do little bits at a time because it can be very powerful stuff. MMM
5- green food coloring. 7-12 drops. It just depends on how green you want to pie. Or sometimes red is fun too.
Mix the green food coloring and the peppermint in with the sweetened condensed milk first and then FOLD the whipping cream in with everything else. Make sure to fold it because if you stir it everything will flatten out and then you get like a soup. Then you pour the green nummy stuff into the Oreo pie crust and freeze it for at least four hours. Over night is best. There might be some extra green center stuff left over, don't try and pour it all into the pie crust because if you do it will spill over (obviously) and just won't work.

Yesterday I had a piano recital for my four piano students. It reminded me of the Santa Shares I did as a piano student of my former teacher, Don Royster. I played a song, too, and I think that has been the first recital I have played in for over four years. The recital itself was short and sweet, 30 minutes, and afterwards we all ate desserts/punch. It was a lot of fun and the students did well! I've really enjoyed teaching. I wish I had pictures from it.

3 comments:

Michael B said...

Wow! Dave is quite the "hunter man" cleaning that deer!

Annie B said...

Oh, I forgot about piano recitals! How fun to see the progress of your students. Great job!

tHaRp said...

dear heather,
you have to do a new post because every time I check to see if you've updated I have to see that sad little dead bambi picture.
love talane
xoxoxo