Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Mason, David's Bday, Fathers Day

Happy Fathers Day to all our wonderful fathers, fathers-in-law, uncles, and grandfathers! We love you! I made David german pancakes for breakfast, but I didn't follow up on a few thoughtful gifts I had planned to give him--his best gift was probably Disney's Hercules that I had ordered a month earlier from online. I didn't even write him a note or give him a card. :( BUT the primary kids at church that I lead in singing time sang during sacrament meeting and it was really cute, we had a great lunch/dinner of steak, garlic bread, and asparagus.

Next sunday was David's 27th birthday--Hip Hip Hooray! David was a good sport that morning fixing french toast for breakfast while I tried to get Mason and myself ready for church. Other good meals included homemade pizza with pepperoni and shrimp, and I made him homemade chocolate chip cookies (his favorite dessert). I also picked him up donuts (also a favorite). Thank you for all the texts/notes/gifts/phone calls! He had a great birthday. I gave him two more Disney movies, Tarzan and The Kid. Manly movies to watch with Mason. I felt like I've done more for his bdays and Father's Days in the past, but we still had fun.


Reason why I have felt so helter-scelter: Mason hasn't been doing so hot on gaining weight. At his 4 month appointment, he had lost a pound from 2 months (closing in at 10.9 lbs) and was in the 0.5% for weight. We thought of Everything why he wasn't gaining weight--nipple confusion? diabetes? allergies? acid reflux disease? lactose intolerance? Anyway we were just beside ourselves for quite a few days and read and tried a Lot of different things, went in for a lot of weight checks, blood work, visits with several doctors, and he is finally starting to improve. This is what we have temporarily settled on: milk and soy protein are booted from Mason's and my diet (woof), he takes medication for acid reflux disease, and he gets about a third of his meals from high-calorie-mixed formula. The last time we went in for a weight check (Friday) he had gained almost a whole pound (11.8 lbs). It's been a lot of work (and I have felt terrible--I keep asking myself WHY didn't I notice/act sooner??) but he is looking so much better!

Mason a few days before 4 mo. appt.
Mason this past Sunday, checking out the way-cool bday card David's family sent him!
Don't his cheeks look a little fuller? Maybe? Yes?
PS David has been absolutely WONDERFUL throughout the whole crisis. It was a big comfort knowing that in the end, he would do everything he could to take care of us. He was positive, but really engaged in everything, going with me to doctors appointments, reading up on diseases/symptoms, making suggestions, helping me with feedings and more. Not the funnest thing to go through during Fathers Day/Bday, but he really is an amazing father and husband. Love you babe.

On a happier note: We got a bike trailer!

Might take a while for Mason to get used to it.

5 comments:

Neil and Laura Harper said...

That last picture of him really made me chuckle....what a look...I'd love to have the full interpretation!!
YES, I think he's filling out...quite a bit of difference between those pictures. I'm so glad you caught it and it sounds and looks like he's doing so much better.
What a handsome picture of Mason and Daddy on Father's Day. That one is priceless!
Love you all

Chelsea said...

Heather! Don't beat yourself up. All babies are different! When something would happen out of the ordinary with Colton, I would just remind myself that he's his own self and I'll just do whatever is best for him, even if it's the opposite of what I would like. Mason does look heavier in the 2nd picture, good job catching it when you did! I know ya'll are great parents because little Mason looks so happy! I want to see him! Ya'll are so cute :)

Michael B said...

That's great to hear Mason is gaining weight... It was also great talking with Dave for a few mintues on his Birthday. We are excited to see you guys soon.

Brooke and Brighton said...

I am glad Mason is gaining weight. You guys are such great parents and we miss you tonz! I love seeing all of the pictures of Mason. He is so cute!!! Love the bike trailer!

Bradshaw's said...

Sorry I meant to leave a comment way sooner so you could have our address oops :) sorry. Anyway, cute pictures of Mason! I also have to say YUCK about that spider picture!! That thing looks so big! Well we will see you tonight!