Thursday, May 28, 2009

A week of firsts . . .

While I am still job-hunting . . .

I painted a piece of furniture for the first time. I had to call my furniture-decorating-savvy sister-in-law Talane to ask how to open a can of paint. Some good mistakes/lessons I learned: Make sure you buy the right color of paint the first time. Never paint in a favorite shirt. Make sure the paint brush is completely dry when you do the second coat.
Considering all the mistakes, I think it turned out okay!
I'm not sure if I haven't made whole wheat bread before, but I for sure have not made whole wheat bread straight from the wheat kernels to flour to bread. I used my Bosche machine with a whole wheat bread recipe that came with the Bosche.
DELISH. I think I ate a whole mini-loaf by myself right out of the oven.
I feel like the Little Red Hen making the bread from scratch :)
I also made STRAWBERRY JAM for the first time away from family. SO yummy! No wonder--12 cups of sugar in 12 jam jars . . .

. . . it goes really well with the fresh bread! And I'm excited to use it with pancakes/waffles, toast, dinner rolls, biscuits, etc etc etc . . . today for lunch I was perfectly content with my PB&J sandwich.

6 comments:

Katie Lane said...

Wow, look at you being all homemakey. Your bread looks good, I want to learn! Or maybe I should just get a bosch bread maker.
Your mirror looks really good! Isn't it so fun to fix old things up? I love it!

Jill and Levi said...

Yum, homemade bread, and homemade jam is the best! Hope you are doing great!!

Brooke and Brighton said...

Wow that food looks awesome!! You will have to show that to me when you come back to Salt Lake when you visit. And that mirror looks awesome. Your house looks so cute!! Awesome job!

Neil and Laura Harper said...

I love your mirror and your bread and jam look yummy! Sounds like you're keeping busy!! I can't wait to see your new home in person. Good luck with job hunting! Love you so much,
MOM

Michael B said...

Great job on all the firsts Heather!

Burt Bunch said...

Heather that looks so good, I might need to get a lesson from you sometime!